[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Free ZT CD thoughts....

<  ZT Magazine Talk  ~  Free ZT CD thoughts....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:16 pmPosts: 285Location: Birmingham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
User avatarSite AdminSite AdminJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pmPosts: 532Location: England

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
I say we throw some Indie and Hip-Hop on there. Just to upset really SRZ BZN metalheads :D Plus me and Beardedtrout will love you forever.

I say we throw some Indie and Hip-Hop on there. Just to upset really SRZ BZN metalheads :D Plus me and Beardedtrout will love you forever.

I do see John's point i'm afraid. The CD's do tend to go through the death-death-deathier-hardcore-black-black-blacker-more death-more deathier-one weird track-last but not least death metal motions. But like Leon said it's up to musicians/labels to get themselves on it. Of course we all know the worlds very worst kvlt BM wouldn't promote themselves in something as 'untrue' as ZT :wink:

Some more noise/ambient/neo-folk would be nice though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
StaffStaffJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pmPosts: 622Location: united kingdom
See Leon's post - that's the long and short of it - but I disagree it's all just death, death, death and death... What's quite amusing is that we do have the odd person whinge about anything aside from death and black appearing on it, which is kind of daft.

Unless something is completely off the mark, or downright offensive, we don't dictate what labels can and can't include - we do make suggestions but these aren't always listened to - and quite often, certain releases are prioritised over others.

This issue's CD isn't a bad CD by any means, it's got some really strong stuff on it. Obviously, not everything will be to everyone's taste, but don't forget, it's a freebie and there's a good chance a few things will grab your attention, for whatever reason. One thing I would say counts in our favour is that we do frequently include tracks from some more obscure artists than other mags.

Oh, if only we had the Daily Mail's covermount budget, we'd be able to include an additional free DVD of Gone With The Wind... On a serious note, if it was a situation where we simply chose material for inclusion it would be a compilation CD rather than the sampler it is. It would also then be incredibly difficult to give it away for free as that's a whole different ballgame altogether.

I always let artists and labels from all genres I possibly can know about the CD and invite them to participate, so it's really down to them if they want you to hear their music that way.

But I'm all for keeping it varied, it just depends what's out there...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:16 pmPosts: 285Location: Birmingham
yeah, i understand the fact that its a cd of label sent 'samplers'...and that they ultimately pay for the cd itself.

i just thought, as lisa implied, that a few more of the more avante garde labels and sounds would get there stuff out there...ipecac, hydrahead, cold spring are all a bit absent......I mean, they don't have many magazines that would covermount their stuff...you would think that they would put their hands in their pockets!

anyway...i am far from moaning...(more trying to give a bit of personal input).

Even if the cd is a bit samey compared to the terrorizer cd, it is usually a great cross section of what is coming out in the extreme metal world....and like you said, the majority of ZT readers want that. Which i guess, is what matters.

best man - yes! more ozric tentacles! i want to go to Erpland!

right guys....like i said, great issue though...i'm off to read it...

take care...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
This months CD did make me realize just how brilliant Hellhammer are/were. I also loved the Devilish Impressions and Funeral Throne tracks :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Barely TolerantBarely TolerantJoined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:08 pmPosts: 394
I agree with Mr Doom in that the free CDs are a little bland - this applies to both the ZT and Terrorizer covermounts.

I listened to the new ZT CD in my car on the way to work this morning - I only listened to the Hellhammer and Forefather tracks all the way through (twice each, I should add) - for the other tracks, I listened to about the first 20 seconds before skipping to the next - for the majority of those other tracks, I just felt like I'd heard it all before.

Since the CD is essentially free, I'd like to see more variation (although not to the extent of Hip Hop or Indie, since I don't think ZT's direction/ concept lies with those genres).

[Interesting to hear Ozric's mentioned above - I recently bought a vinyl copy of Pungent Effulgent from eBay, to replace my dreadful C90 copy]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:10 pmPosts: 2424Location: Brighton
Hmmm. I rarely listen to the whole ZT CD because I hate compilations, I'd never listen to it for listening's sake. I just pick the handful of tracks that interest me first, then read the mag and listen to the bands that I've read about which appeal.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
StaffStaffJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pmPosts: 622Location: united kingdom

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
SpammerSpammerJoined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:41 pmPosts: 4140Location: The Internet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote