[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Alan Averill vs Nightwish

<  ZT Magazine Talk  ~  Alan Averill vs Nightwish

Nightwish: what's the ZT reader verdict?

Antithesis to metal
84%
[ 21 ] 84%

Audio delight
16%
[ 4 ] 16%

Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
StaffStaffJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pmPosts: 622Location: united kingdom
Issue 026 sees the introduction of Alan Averill's new column, View From The Bunker. We want to know whether you're inclined to agree or disagree with this issue's topic... Please do feel free to include any relevant quote-worthy comments after you've voted.

In case you're wondering, Alan Averill is more commonly known as Nemtheanga [Primordial]. :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:43 pmPosts: 259
I never knowingly heard a Nightwish track. I don't really have any plans to, either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:51 pmPosts: 3217Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland
On it here it seems to be a sin, but I've enjoyed listening to Nightwish for years, ok they're not extreme, but it's still decent music.

The new singer is a bitch though, Tarja was much better.

Last edited by TheFamousEccles on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime
There's no "If you don't like it then don't listen to it" option.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
User avatarSite AdminSite AdminJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pmPosts: 532Location: England
That'd be a bit of a wimp-out though wouldn't it

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:51 pmPosts: 3217Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pmPosts: 1189Location: London
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

I found the article particularly funny. Best bit of irony, Primordial are a really twee and cheesey band with hollow pop hooks instead of riffs and a really Hollywood Oirish presentation. Is his main concern that if both Primordial and Nightwish entered Eurovision in the same year Nightwish would win? Pot, kettle, black as far as I'm concerned.

Also when i grew up blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Old man moan about not understanding kids. Plus if you get in to a fashion, other people have their own reasons for getting in to it. No group is ever cohesive and art appreciation is entirely subjective. I'm loads younger than him, and I got in to fights because of being a long haired metaller as a kid, in Surrey. And Nightwish while not a band I necessarily like, I'd far rather go see them again than Primordial.

regardless of the quality of Alan's band. It still a shit article. He came off as badly as the singer from the Buzzcocks in his how influential is punk interview. I just got some old guy whingeing basically about it was better in my day. Well done. Never again will he be a teenager discovering metal for the first time. When I have access to my copy of the mag. After Carcass, I'll add some quotes. Can Vic just get another page instead? Or has Alex Kurtagic been asked if he could try again and to keep his articles legal? I'll only get really pissed off though if his next bunker ting is as idiotic.

While I'm having a whinge, does anyone like Gort? Is there actually any merit to it? Do you just need some dross to stop competitors crying?

Rest of the mag is really good. Particularly entertaining review section this month.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:43 pmPosts: 259
I have to agree with Reflector in the main, Alan's piece does seem to come off as a grumpy old man, 'when I were a lad' whinge. He even talks about building character which anyone who's read Calvin and Hobbes will find hilarious. I can see his (Alan's) complaints - although they amount to little more than "I don't like this" - but it's not going to help the wider world's idea of metals fans, IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
glad to see alan's ruffled some feathers...

what's wrong with Gort? :( the ones that have run recently are competitions, though it is pretty hard to see this as it's quite small... they aren't meant to be hilariously funny, you're meant to guess which gore / horror films are depicted.

but i take your comments on board. and dr parson's buks are mint. they are really funny, that's assuming you take a cynical view towards the likes of elton john, bush, the royal family and disney... ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
haha. do bleeding willies make you uncomfortable?

Offline Profile