[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Soundtracks

<  Music  ~  Soundtracks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195
Just wondering if people give movie soundtrakcs the time of day?
Would you buy one if you liked the artist but not seen the film and had no intention to?
Question comes about because Patton didthe soundtrack to Crank2 and no way in hell am i watching it but still tempted by the soundtrack.

Looking through my collection the only other sound tracks i have is;

Juno (just a compilation of artists)
The Fountain (done by Clint Mansell)
Dancer In The Dark (Bjork - Selmasongs)
Drawing Restraint 9 (Bjork)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:51 pmPosts: 3217Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland
I have soundtracks only to films I've seen...

- LOTR
- A Clockwork Orange
- Gummo
- Dazed & Confused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Low ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:39 pmPosts: 150
Do like soundtracks, only one i actually have tho is Gladiator, altho do love LOTR and few songs from layer cake might be downloaded sometime :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pmPosts: 1189Location: London
GOBLIN

Eveything they've done.

For ambience I've looked around other genres. And the lord of the rings ones annoy me. Silly twee nonsense as far as I'm concerned. I do have a soft spot for The 2 Conan soundtracks, but not gone as far as to purchase them.

And why would not having seen the film make a difference to you buying it? If you leaf through a Terrorizer for gig listings are you forced to listen to the drivel you get on a free CD?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:43 pmPosts: 259
Aliens - James Horner
I was obsessed with this music for a very long time and it still disappoints me that the haunting strings on the main titles are nicked from Aram Khachaturian's Gayane...

Event Horizon - Orbital/Michael Kamen
The blend of traditional orchestration and then-current techno sits perfectly with the plot of the film and acts as a voice for the Event Horizon itself.

Lost Highway - Trent Reznor
How would you even approach scoring this film? I mean, jeez. The scope and audacity of how the music in here has been blended (and, crucially, all appears in the film) is staggering.

A Clockwork Orange - Various/Wendy Carlos
The juxtaposition of music like 'Singin' In The Rain' with scenes of brutal violence is, understandably, well remarked upon but it's Carlos' eerie, vocodered orginals and versions of the classical pieces that gives the film it's distinctive feel.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Various
Another Kubrick film, another soundtrack bound to its visuals. Anyone who's seen the film won't be able to hear 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' without the ominous image of aligned planets hanging over them but it's Gyorgy Ligeti's terrifying vocal works, the Monolith's own voice, that is the highlight.

Quake - Trent Reznor
A video game. From 1996. I shit you not! Even now there's something very special about this claustrophobic music that makes it one of my favourite works by Reznor.

The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams
Taking the leitmotifs scattered through the New Hope soundtrack and condensing them into a far darker arrangement, Williams nails it. The Imperial March, the Hoth battle and aftermath, the industrialisms of Bespin and the slow, mournful finale are all classics. Even the 20th Century Fox fanfare has become part of the score!

Drawing Restraint 9 - Bjork
Irritatingly, I've never been able to see the film. My wife got tickets but I came down with the 'flu a few days before hand... Still, the music is magnificient and, in 'Storm', it probably contains one of the best Bjork tracks available.

The Thing - Ennio Morricone
John Carpenter brought in Morricone for The Thing's soundtrack as he wanted something different from the music he made himself and had used on previous films. Astonishingly, Morricone took this as a cue to write exactly like Carpenter! Still, the throbbing main titles are a classic of horror sound design.

That'll do for now, I think...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
User avatarLow ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:25 amPosts: 139Location: Somerset,UK

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:09 pmPosts: 1303Location: Oxford/Birmingham

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:43 pmPosts: 259

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 pmPosts: 47Location: Scotland
LOTR, A Clockwork Orange, Bladerunner, Conan all good & also love anything Michael Nyman (esp Gattaca) & Philip Glass' music for Candyman

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pmPosts: 1189Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime
Movies and vidyagames soundtracks <3

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
User avatarLow ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:25 amPosts: 139Location: Somerset,UK

Offline Profile