[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Bands you've lost interest in

<  Music  ~  Bands you've lost interest in

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
Howdy. This isn't aimed as a typical "bands I love/hate" thread but something in a more self-referential tone. What bands or artists did you used to enjoy when you were younger but now can't seem to listen to? Or what bands early work you adore but find their newer output unappealing? To summarize, what bands have you lost (any amount of) interest in? Okay go --->

Besty might want to falcon punch me for saying this, but, Sepultura. I think its because Against was as far as I can remember the very first metal album I enjoyed. As my knowledge of the genre grew I came to appreciate the bands then tribalistic thrash style as being unique to them. But (and I know its a cliche) Igor Calavera moved on and the band subtly became more hardcore. From what I could hear, what Sepultura were doing was technically adept and betraying an experience of their older guise, lost a lot of the individuality I enjoyed about them. Of course things change over time and bands move onto new territories and styles, I only wonder why they went in that particular direction.

In a similiar vein i've lost some of my boyish adoration of The Prodigy. There was a time when I couldn't imagine there being a better album than Fat Of The Land, nor could I conceive an equally worthy back catalogue. Even to this day I still get a very visceral thrill from the first three albums that goes beyond mere nostalgia.
When Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned I was absurdly excited and my expectations were on retrospect infinitely high. Over time that album has grown on me, but back then I realized for the first time that bands I assumed would always hit my marks actually might fail to do so. Consequently All Invaders Must Die did little for me, but then my benchmark for The Prodigy is lower even if my respect for Liam Howlett remains. At least The Prodigy hasn't become what Pendulum is now.

One of the more tragic bands i've lost my love for are The Dresden Dolls. Their self-titled debut was one of the most perversely fun, eccentrically sexy and unfathomably composed albums of the 00's. Whilst ostensibly pop punk it sounded more like a delirious and drunken victorian sleaze act with a drum kit. For me at the time the idea of making a punk rock album with a pianist and drummer was relevatory.
But then they released Dear Virginia... and i'm not really sure what happened. To say it went wrong would be overly harsh, there was nothing the matter with the record in principal. But that quality that sparked my imagination was gone. No longer did it sound like the dirty confessional rantings of the self-titled. It sorted of sounded like the duo had read how the magazines and fans described their style and became that very thing. It was still just a piano and drums alright, but to me it sounded like pop punk by the numbers.
It genuinely disappoints me to this day when I consider what they do now to what they could of done. Despite this I humbly wish them long lives and prosperity.

For some reason i've gone off Gnaw Their Tongues quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely respect and applaud what they do. I think part of my buying into GTT has something to do with the aesthetics and sentiments they employ. But blow for blow their music doesn't sit with me well. There seems to be too much going on and the use of symphonics/samples a bit too ceremonious for the subject matter. At least in my worthless opinion :P

~

So please, share your deepest darkest anxieties about bands you like/have liked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
User avatarLow ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:22 pmPosts: 175Location: Nottingham
Agreed, Sepultura are indeed a waste of air now.

Metallica are an obvious one, I just don't care what they do any more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:51 pmPosts: 3217Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland
Chemical Brothers.

oh and Rude Form, Selfsurprise, Deliberate Flaws.

Just kidding, Ben, I still adore your work ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
User avatarIntolerantIntolerantJoined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pmPosts: 739
I totally disagree with you on The Prodigy. Invaders Must Die is a beast of an album IMO. The couple before that however did meet with nought but apathy from me (I think it was a couple. Basically I stopped caring at Fat Of The Land and started caring again at Invaders).

aaaaaanyhoo

Suffocation - Never really been blown away by them as you'd expect to judging by the high esteem and hype they're always given. So I guess you could say I lost interest in them because I never really had much interest in them.

99.9% of what gets called "brutal death" these days and is solely preoccupied with being all about the "sick" slams and/or Urgle McGurgle vocals with little else to them so Devourment, Putrid Pile (Shaun LaCanne's a proper nice guy don't get me wrong) and all the millions of other pretenders to the throne out there.

Decapitated used to be my favourite band but in terms of longevity they've not aged at all well for me, especially since I widened the types of genres I listened to. Winds Of Creations is still a really good album for me, I just rarely get the urge to listen to it these days. I think the only real reason I still keep the albums is more for nostalgia rather than any genuinely active passion for the band any more.

Strapping Young Lad/ Devin Townsend. Used to love practically anything Mr Townsend did but my love for SYL rapidly disintegrated with 'Alien' and I'd only REALLY liked one of his solo albums ('Accelerated Evolution') so found my interest swiftly dissipating.

Behemoth - Loved them up until around Demigod, which I fucking LOVED initially but because of only liking the first three songs on anything like repeated listenings, the album grew tiresome after a while and then when they voluntarily started touring with Devil Driver & Suicide Silence, I lost even more interest to be perfectly honest.

Probably more if I thought hard about it

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:21 pmPosts: 1561Location: Kentish Town, London

Thrasherismus Loverasmus

Deathicus Fanaticus

Doomicus Worshippus

Blackist Hailist
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime
About 80% of metal in general, I'm a really selective dick.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195
People really need to give Always Out numbered, Never Out gunned by the Prodigy another listen.
Play it loud and give it time and you will see that it is a stonker of an album.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:21 pmPosts: 1561Location: Kentish Town, London
It seems when it comes to metal we all share a basic thing in common - we realise that a large percentage of bands are shit, or if not shit per se, just dull and impassibly unoriginal. When it comes to extreme metal any band that is new to me are guilty til proven innocent, and most fail to pass that test.

Basically all the 'new-old school' thrash bands are, while technically proficient and capable of writing ok thrash songs, entirely derivative and uninteresting to someone like me who basically owns every noteworthy 80s thrash record.

Most straight-up BM is shit. I find the edges around the ambient, folkified and experimental corners of BM to be much more interesting.

Admittedly Ive not heard a huge variety of the aforementioned 'br00tal DM bands' but once I see a bloodied spiky gory logo I have a pretty clear assumption of whats instore, and its unlikely its gonna appeal to me.

Like Besty, I have a very high 'spam filter' on bands but it does mean that when someone gets through they tend to be painfully good...I like it that way.

Thrasherismus Loverasmus

Deathicus Fanaticus

Doomicus Worshippus

Blackist Hailist
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
User avatarLow ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:22 pmPosts: 175Location: Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Some more to list:
Dying Fetus - Tighter than virginal snatch when I saw them last not long ago, but on record, they've long since past into bland and beyond for me, even the "return to form" albums.

Gorefest - One of the numerous bands I've come to the conclusion that if you have to try to like a band first, the chances are you're not going to get much reward out of it in the long run.

Krisiun - Good band live, but I'm just really tired of just how stagnant they sound the more I listen to them. I'd much rather be listening to Nephasth or Rebaelliun these days.

Napalm Death - Seen them once and pretty much had it reaffirmed I now never needed to see them again, as it would literally be exactly the same thing again. Was growing weary of the whole "Napalm by numbers" around the time Order Of The Leech came out let alone the identikit albums that have come out since.
Yeah a legendary band with an iconic place in the history books but still getting increasingly boring.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

Last edited by Belly Button on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 amPosts: 1668Location: Chester, UK
Satyricon, big time from favourite band to Noooo in three albums haha

I lost interest in Metallica but am now interested again after Death Magnetic and seeing them live last year.

Sepultura died for me when Max left :(

Belly Button: HavocClaudia: She singlehandedly* prevents this forum from transforming into a colossal Tetsuo shaped mound of phalluses, and has extremely trve metal taste.
Offline Profile