[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Gig vs. Record: Fight, fight, fight!

<  Music  ~  Gig vs. Record: Fight, fight, fight!

Which?

Go to the gigs
0%
[ 0 ] 0%

Buy the records
100%
[ 3 ] 100%

Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
User avatarLow ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:22 pmPosts: 175Location: Nottingham
So, you've got £30 to spend on music this month. There's 3 barn storming albums you want to buy, but 3 other top notch bands are coming to town as well. Where do you spend your money?

I'd probably go for the CDs/LPs for the record (see what I did there, chortle).

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195
Depends to what degree of awesomeness the bands were;
Boris
Fantomas
Isis

^ I would have to go, 3 bands ive not seen live before and really want to.

As for the following i'd go for the CD;
Cathedral
Om
Asva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
User avatarIntolerantIntolerantJoined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pmPosts: 739
If one of the bands playing was a band I really wanted to see live, I'd do a half-n-half and both go to the gig and buy some merch.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
User avatarLow ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:22 pmPosts: 175Location: Nottingham
You awkward git, on average, what would your answer be :lol: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
If the kind of bands I like performed anywhere near me that often as horrible deathcore bands do, i'd have picked the former. As it is most of my ridiculous neo-folk/noise/power electronics/improvization/dark ambient/hairy drums/contact mic/performance art needs can only be met by records.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Highly TolerantHighly TolerantJoined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 pmPosts: 26
Put the bands on myself, thereby getting in to the gig for free, and blag free cds off the bands, probably for putting them up! :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 pmPosts: 47Location: Scotland
I would normally go for the record, it's easy for bands (regardless of genre) to sound live on record if that's what they want, but not so easy to recreate their music live if they use millions of overdubs/orchestras/can't play guitar and sing at the same time etc.

A record is usually what a band wants to sound like as opposed to what they actually sound like. If a band sucks on record, chances are they really do suck.

Which is not to say that great bands don't ever make crap records :|

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly TolerantHighly TolerantJoined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 pmPosts: 34Location: Derbyshire
I'd rather have the record since that lasts forever. But if the gig is unmissable (like a once only thing) then I would go for that. but I've never had such a dilemma yet touch wood.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:07 pmPosts: 3292
Gig. You can always buy an album later in the future, you never know if a gig may be the last a band plays. Plus, you can usually buy Merch at a gig for cheaper than normal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarMaximum ToleranceMaximum ToleranceJoined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:49 amPosts: 3
CD every time. No contest.