[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - ID CARDS

<  Non-music  ~  ID CARDS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
StaffStaffJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pmPosts: 622Location: united kingdom
All

Using this board as an information source and not a soapbox - as I am sure there will be differences in who thinks ID Cards are the shady, intrusive pieces of propaganda that I see them as or a necessary vice in smokin' out those tewwwwwowists (to coin a phrase) - but any one who is opposed to ID Cards for whatever reason can at least vote with their feet by signing Liberty's online petition.

You can find it here:

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/ ... ndex.shtml

If you're undecided, you'll find some useful reading material on Liberty's site and through the many links to other useful resources.

There are other petitions online, but since Liberty seem to have some kind of leverage and are taken into account in the media on a wider scale than most, it might just be the most effective means of taking a stand if it's something you feel strongly about.

And if you don't sign-up against it, don't use this forum to whinge in 2007. :wink:

Right comrades :russian: I'm off...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:13 am Reply with quote
SpammerSpammerJoined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:41 pmPosts: 4140Location: The Internet

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:35 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly TolerantHighly TolerantJoined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:51 pmPosts: 41Location: Rugby, Warwickshire
Hey Lisa, gotta say im not so keen on the idea of ID cards :x Sure, if it helps to disrupt the plans of anyone who wants to attack this country, then thats fine, but it looks as if George Orwell had the right idea in 1984 with the idea that: "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU" and civil liberties go down the pan. I reckon its not going to be long before they pass something similar to the draconian US Patriot Act Here. You ever get the feeling this government is playing with fear? I saw this program a few weeks ago called The Power of Nightmares, which basically said that the Western governments have used the vauge and splintered concept of an "imminant terror threat" in order to promote and manipulate people's fear and to STAY IN POWER :evil: Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:38 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly TolerantHighly TolerantJoined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:51 pmPosts: 41Location: Rugby, Warwickshire
Oh, I signed the petition, by the way! 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:38 am Reply with quote
StaffStaffJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pmPosts: 622Location: united kingdom
This is posted in response to NOT A HORSE FLUFFER btw. Special K posted in between. Sorry if it was confusing...

---

Fairplay if that's your opinion, I respect that, but it is worth finding out about in more detail before making any final decisions on whether it'll effect all our lives... It's not really about finding out addresses, the electoral register does that in theory - it's the fact that that ID Card will eventually be used to identify ourselves in every way - including how we vote (would we want any government knowing that??), what circles we move in, our genetic make-up. The list goes on.

ID Cards aren't comparable to, as the government would like us to believe, reward card from a supermarket - those are bad enough - but they're not compulsory and they don't hold biometric information...

And, your opinion is as good as mine and the next person's and so on, it's just that these cards just make my blood boil so much that I find it almost impossible to not bleat on about them...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:08 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:45 pmPosts: 103Location: S. Wales
Hey Lisa,

This is a big fucking waste of money, I prefered the liberal democrats idea... save the money and spend it on more police.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:49 am Reply with quote
User avatarIntolerantIntolerantJoined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:41 pmPosts: 956
This is one of the stupidest ideas I've seen in a long, long while. Makes you consider that the government, in many ways, didn't realy change all that much in 1997. Blair's a filthy Thatcherite and always has been, he just hid it well.

The government talks about having checks and measures put in place to prevent abuse of this information. A wiser person than the government realises that the only way to ensure information wil not ever be abused, is not to take it at all.

Furthermore, this will affect absolutely fuck all. If there ever was a terrorist attack planned in the UK (have you seen any concrete evidence of one in the last three years, apart from the obvious scaremongering attempts? Don't think so), then the perpetrators would be smart enough to bide their time and get a UK ID card. Or, heaven forbid, has it occurred to them that anyone wanting to strike the UK might (gasp) actually be a... British Citizen? So what does this achieve exactly? Nothing. Now't. Zilch. End result = bugger all. Why not, oh, I don't know, spend the money on the health service and police, training in how to properly deal with organised criminals and terrorists while keeping everyone's privacy safe. Any government which tells you that constant surveillance is good for you is lying, and needs to be removed.

Then there's the other wonderful ideas - I wonder, honestly, if Blunkett's actually insane. Some sort of Machiavellian mastermind who slipped through the net. I mean, what rational person sees that crime figures are the lowest they've been for decades BY FAR, then spouts on about how "no-one's safe from crime anymore". Then there's the absolutely wonderful ideas to abolish trial by jury, and hold terror suspects indefinitely, without trial. It's an absolute fucking travesty.

Benjamin Franklin famously once said that a person who will sacrifice essential liberty for a little extra security deserves neither. What would he have thought of this idea, which sacrifices a lot of individual liberty, for absolutely no return?

Kennedy in '05. Pass me my red flag on the way out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:10 pmPosts: 2424Location: Brighton

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:17 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:49 pmPosts: 542

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:18 am Reply with quote
User avatarTolerantTolerantJoined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:35 amPosts: 73

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quote
StaffStaffJoined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 pmPosts: 146Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:45 pmPosts: 103Location: S. Wales

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:07 pmPosts: 1144Location: Chester
i ain't paying twice the amount I have to now for a passport, just to fund the Labour governments poor excuse for action against terrorists.

Plus i dare say you could fucking cancel third world debt or go a hell of a long way towards that with the money it'd cost to set up and run this system - £3billion...

Three billion pounds on something that doesn't stop terrorism and only creates paranoia.

Spain has mandatory ID cards. Did that stop the Madrid bombings?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:43 am Reply with quote
StaffStaffJoined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 pmPosts: 146Location: London