Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Your Music Collection.

<  Non-music  ~  Your Music Collection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly TolerantHighly TolerantJoined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:30 pmPosts: 13
I have absoloutlly no idea how many CDs i have (I-Tunes reckons its 1451 but i don't believe that for one minute) and at the moment they're a bit all over the place. I move a lot so a most of them are still in boxes. I have a pile on top of my stereo, which is my current playlist, and a pile next to my computer which is my 'to be uploaded' list, and a CD case with about 150 cds in, but thats the worst thing i've ever done. I thought with all the moving i do condensing my collection down to easy to carry/store cases would be helpful. I regretted it as soon as i threw out the jewel cases.
It depends on what mood i'm in as to what order they're sorted in, as i tend to get bored and want to organise things. (The whole of my cd collection being uploaded to my external hard drive the result of me having a 'relaxing' week off work) at the moment most of them are alphabetised.
I only have a handful of vinyl, mostly because i don't have a record player and i'm trying to be sensible with my life and not buy things i can't actually listen to. But the few vinyl i do have are from local bands i know/have seen live who have only been released on vinyl and downloads. And a Chris De Burgh one (i'm sorry but theres just something about listening to 'Spanish Train' on vinyl that you can't beat).
The rest of my collection is a reflection of my crazed mind, i still have a lot of cassette tapes. My last car was a 15 year old pergeout still with the original stereo so i had to put a lot of my music onto tape.
Then we bring ourselves to what has affectionately been called the 'box of shame'. I have trouble letting go of things so i still have a lot of the cassette and CD singles i bought when i was a kid. These include Malandra Burrows (her off Emmerdale) 'Just this side of love'. Zig and Zags 'them girls', Gunthers 'ding dong song', the cast of Casualty singing 'everlasting love' and many other poppy one hit wonders.
I'd say downloads do count, but personally i like the feeling of having the cd in my hand.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
Highly TolerantHighly TolerantJoined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:38 amPosts: 16
I'm somewhere around 800-900, about 200-250 is vinyl and 30-odd cassettes (never liked them much).

It's all in alphabetical then by band chronological. I had a 6 year spell living with a demon woman where any albums bought had to be sneaked in the house (don't ask, it was all very silly) so my purchases slowed down during that time and nowadays I find I have plenty music I can listen to so spend money going out rather than buying every CD I might want. To be honest I would struggle to listen to them all anyway as I still love listening to discs I'va had for 18 years. I still buy stuff but find I can be more selective as so much newer stuff sounds very recycled to me (I'm sure everyone will get to that stage eventually lol)

I download some things and if I'm listening to them a lot I will buy them at some point. My argument for buying music is that my stereo is miles better at plaiying back music than my pc - the quality of regular mp3 isn't so good compared to a CD never mind a vinyl album and I find that extra sound quality enhances my experience as well as the whole ritual of opening the box, putting the disc on or in whatever.

I worry in these days of compressed productions and ipod/pc habits that sound quality is becoming forgotten against the increasing demand for portability, space saving and convenience. However, we all have our preferences.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 pmPosts: 47Location: Scotland
My favourite format is vinyl LPs (I blame getting Number of the Beast when I was 6 - Eddie is supposed to be on a decent-sized sleeve!!) though they don't half eat your shelf space. Record sleeve art is probably also the reason I never got into Judas Priest until fairly recently - the sleeve of Turbo didn't really hold it's own against the competition (at that time - '88-ish I was buying things like Agent Orange by Sodom and South of Heaven by Slayer purely on the basis of the covers and actually was rarely let down). No idea how many LPs I have other than the wife's guess ("too many")... CDs everywhere too, but although I do download more these days I just can't get so excited without the pictures. Make of that what you will.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
I ought to sell most of my CD's. I need the space and could do with the money. I never listen to them anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195
I think that quite often aswell but can never bring myself to do it and end up buying more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Maximum ToleranceMaximum ToleranceJoined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 pmPosts: 5
Currrently 1300 Lps,700 7", 230 12", 1300 cds, 800 tapes. Cds and records are organised alphabetically then in order of release and if more than one copy in order they were bought.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Low ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:39 pmPosts: 150
Mine is pathetic in comparison to you all xD, only got like 60-70ish cds, used to download too much so am trying to concentrate on buying all those

Offline Profile