[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Visited London yesterday

<  Non-music  ~  Visited London yesterday

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
Me and the family went to London yesterday for shits and giggles. We went to V&A Museum which was astoundingly good. However upon looking at our map we noticed the Natural History Museum and The Science Museum were just around the corner. Has anybody else been to any of these places?

The V&A had one of the best collections i've ever seen. That cast of the Trajan Column is mind-blowingly huge. You can read facts and figures till the cows come home but until you see it in all its terrifying Roman glory you couldn't imagine what such a colossal object it is. But I wasn't just there to gawp at the big things :P The Japanese objects were some of my favorites because included among them were pocket-sized carved Netsuke resembling animals, monsters, people and even an alarmingly realistic though impossibly small skull. They had an ornate silver dagger on which its scabbard had inlaid images of Octopi and Lobsters. They had some Hokusaiesque drawings on one wall featuring extremely bizarre monsters such as giant squid in a dress, a mushroom headed troll and humanoid frogs. Another panelled pre-Manga illustration featured a story about a marriage amongst mice.

Needless to say I could bang on the place for another 10 paragraphs but to save you lot from a headache i'll cut to the point of my thread. Have you visited the Natural History Museum? And if so did you find it disappointing? I have always wanted to vist the NHM as long as I can remember. I think I was expecting a layout similiar to the V&A or the British Museum, more academic if you see where i'm coming from. The main entrance with Darwin's statue atop the stairs was everything I dreamt it to be (i've always wanted to see the Ankylosaurus skeleton in the foyer) however the rest of it wasn't what I was expecting at all. It was all interactive and colourful and, frankly, for kids. Maybe its just because i'm a pretentious c**t but I hate those sort of museums. I feel like my intelligence is being insulted and that i'm being spoken down to.
But thats my incredibly cynical highhorse outlook, had I been younger i'm sure I would of absolutely spaffed myself. It was all just a bit ThinkTank for my liking. Modern art has ruined my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:21 pmPosts: 1561Location: Kentish Town, London
I spose its a bit I share not an ounce of your interest in art and as such have not been to the V & A museum. Both the Science and NHM I did many times as a child and teenager but its been a few years now since Ive done either, but do really want to do the NHM again. Would you say it is all based for children now? That would be disappointing for sure, certainly some interactive areas are good but you also want some damn good boring adult areas too :P

My favourite museum in London town though is simple: The Imperial War Museum. I love all about WW2 and there was so much there about that, and much else more that I could spend an entire week there. Go visit next time youre down.

Thrasherismus Loverasmus

Deathicus Fanaticus

Doomicus Worshippus

Blackist Hailist
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:43 pmPosts: 259
I've not been to the Natural History museum for an age but I enjoyed it when I was there. I may have to drop by again some time soon.

I have a small collection of netsuke, seeing as you mentioned them, inherited from my grandfather. I've also seen the real Trajan's Column.

*smugs*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pmPosts: 1189Location: London
I really like the Natural History Museum. The building is utterly beautiful to start with. I can spend a good half hour just taking in the architecture from the outside. While I'd agree that it would benefit from more information about most of the exhibits, I think it's saved by how good the exhibits themselves are. The sheer variety of things there is immense. I basically treat them as staring at works of art. I'd consider it a 3.5 out of 6 museum.

The Science Museum pisses me off though. That really does lack the information to make it an enjoyable day out. The signs basically say things like.

Steam Engine. 1847.

This steam engine runs on steam.

Fuck me sideways. A steam engine being powered by steam. Who'd have thought. While the NHM could add more, there's still a lot we don't know about biology and evolution, hence people are still religious, but machines that humans designed and know how they work and how the forces and technologies interact with each other, well it's a really dumbed down waste. Add in the fact that they don't touch on the social/political ramificatuons of technology which is well documented and it's even more frustrating. Let's excite kids about education by making a museum as facile as bed TV. Twats. 0 out of 6.

I've not been to the V&A in so long I can't really comment. The Imperial War Museum's ok. The crikmes against humanity bit is mind blowing. Really well put together. I like the navy area as the National Maritime Museum doesn't touch on the same areas really so it rounds it out. All the seasonal exhibitions that you have to pay for are always really sub standard. They should try harder, and the modern political swipes and accesible, provokative bits are heavy handed and clumsy. I really like the korean and vietnam war bits, they feel really human in the details and how it's laced together. The big problem I have with the WW2 area is I've been to Bovington, so the tanks just aren't as detailed or impressive, but that's not the fault of the IWM. 4.5 out of 6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
SpammerSpammerJoined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:41 pmPosts: 4140Location: The Internet
I went to a game event at the expo once, I goosed the Halo guy. My claim to fame.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:51 pmPosts: 3217Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 amPosts: 1668Location: Chester, UK
I also was in London this weekend if you look here you will see why, warning contains no culture whatsoever!!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8 ... 8e710f75b6

Belly Button: HavocClaudia: She singlehandedly* prevents this forum from transforming into a colossal Tetsuo shaped mound of phalluses, and has extremely trve metal taste.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:21 pmPosts: 1561Location: Kentish Town, London
AC/DC, I was there too! What dyou mean no culture?! I pissed in a bush on the walk back to the station 8)

Thrasherismus Loverasmus

Deathicus Fanaticus

Doomicus Worshippus

Blackist Hailist
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Low ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:39 pmPosts: 150
I recommend going to tower bridge and going up and along the top (if no one has already)
Is a great view, not far off london eye when i was there, and is cheap, good tour and everything, well worth it :)

Offline Profile