[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - 2009

<  Non-music  ~  2009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 amPosts: 1668Location: Chester, UK
Because the albums of the decade topic is too difficult here is an easier one stolen from another board!

What was everybody's favourite gig, album, film or anything else of the year?

Gig has to be AC/DC at Wembly, that was one almost life-long ambition achieved! But Immortal at Brutal Assault was amazing too, as was the whole festival

My favourite album was Arkona's Goi Rode Goi, followed by the new ones from God Dethroned, Vomitory, Chthonic & Bat for Lashes (lalala)

Film wise it will probably be Where the Wild Things are haha but I haven't seen it yet! Erm probably Star Trek!

Belly Button: HavocClaudia: She singlehandedly* prevents this forum from transforming into a colossal Tetsuo shaped mound of phalluses, and has extremely trve metal taste.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
Good idea for a thread Claudia :D

Favorite gig was definately Kylie Minoise at this years Supersonic. It was about 5 minutes long and the factory club was plunged in darkness. The only source of light was attached to Lea Cummings microphones. For half the performance I was close enough to man himself to see the veins throbbing in his temples. The other half was a confusion of unseen bodies and a flood of pallid screaming light in the middle of the audience. Terrifying stuff.

As i've mentioned before on Numerous occasions :P, for me 2009's best product was Sylvester Anfang II's selftitled Aurora Borealis record. Orgiastic psychedelic rock of the most strange, memorable, extreme and vital sort.

As much as everyone is going to hate me, i've got to say I really enjoyed Watchmen. Visually it was unbelievably loyal to the graphic novel, the casting was spot on. Admittedly the ending was altered but the resulting bitter climax remained. Seeing as the film was already about 700 hours long it would been much for most audiences to explain the use of extradimensional psionic monsters in ensuring world peace.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
User avatarTolerantTolerantJoined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:50 pmPosts: 97
Favourite gig would have to be either Bloodstock as a whole, or as an individual gig, Wodensthrone, De Profundis and Bong at Sunderland earlier in the month.

Favrouite album is Nazxul's Iconoclast.

Film... sorry don't really keep up with films.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTolerantTolerantJoined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:50 pmPosts: 97
I'm changin my mind. Perhaps Blut Aus Nords latest is my fave of the year....

oooooo :(

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 amPosts: 1668Location: Chester, UK
OOh Belly I forgot about Watchmen being this year...I'll have that as well as Star Trek!

Watch those films OCR ;)

Belly Button: HavocClaudia: She singlehandedly* prevents this forum from transforming into a colossal Tetsuo shaped mound of phalluses, and has extremely trve metal taste.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:51 pmPosts: 1227Location: South London

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:21 pmPosts: 1561Location: Kentish Town, London
Oooh so my favourite album is RAM - Lightbringer. I've heard ALOT of new albums this year cos of the reviewing and the RAM is absolutely my favourite. Other albums worthy of mention here though include Solstafir 'Kold', Claudia's favourite Arkona, Tribulation 'The Horror', Abandon 'The Dead End', WITTR 'Black Cascade' and Tyr's 'By The Light Of The Northern Star'. Great albums all of them.

Best gig...both BOA and Hellfest were absolutely fantastic (BOA surprisingly so) and were 2 of the best, and most fun, festivals Ive ever done. For individual performances this year I can't choose one so the best few are WITTR at the Underworld in Jan, Manowar and Saint Vitus at Hellfest, and Goatwhore earlier this month at the Underworld. There may be others I'm forgetting here though.

And best film...I'm like OCR, don't really keep up films so couldn't nomiate a favourite. I did however watch my first ever Lord of the Rings this year so that gets a worthy mention! Target for 2010 is to watch my first ever Star Wars...maybe. :P

Thrasherismus Loverasmus

Deathicus Fanaticus

Doomicus Worshippus

Blackist Hailist
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:38 pmPosts: 1008Location: UK, London
I'll second WITTR at the Underworld. amazing show. but I think Taake might take it for me, also at the Underworld.

ALIVE - VIDEO - http://vimeo.com/10346132
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFzjPmdQck
http://www.alexyork.co.uk/alive
http://www.myspace.com/alexyorkalive
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Ooh yeah Taake were amazing in Manchester too!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
User avatarIntolerantIntolerantJoined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pmPosts: 739
Albums:
4- Wormrot - Abuse
3- Magrudergrind - s/t
2- Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
1- Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - s/t

Not really bothered with any films this year as, well, I don't really "do" films generally. I'm usually pretty apathetic untill they come out on DVD or are on the TV.
Best films I saw this year for the first time was probably Nightwatch. Can't remember what else I saw for the first time this year.
I will be off to see Avatar on Sunday though so I hope it's more 'The Abyss' level Cameron than 'Titanic' Cameron.

Gigswise, I've been too poor to be able to afford fests so it's been a bit barren on that front. Individual performances I'd have to pick out Necro Ritual and Diamanthian for being the most memorable.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pmPosts: 1195
I watched Nightwatch this year also, only read the books this year aswell, the film just didn't make any sense. For a start they refer to the twilight as the gloom, why do that?
If i hadn't read the books it probably been a great film based on it being different.

Albums, it would be a toss up between Trei - Innuendo or Sunn - Monoliths & Dimensions.

Film wise, not released this year but 'Let The Right One In' and probably gets book of year aswell for me. Rare that both book and film are good.

Jarboe live, been waiting for so long.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTolerantTolerantJoined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:09 pmPosts: 52Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
Without a doubt the new Beherit is my favourite album of the year, although I love Secrets of the Moon, Sunn and Wardruna. As far as gigs go I'll third Wolves in the Throne Room at the Underworld, although Sleep and Electric Wizard at ATP: The Fans Stike Back and Enslaved at Bloodstock were incredible performances too. I'd say my favourite films have been Frost/Nixon, Grand Torino and Milk, although I think all three were probably out before the new year began...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote