[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Art you hate...

<  Non-music  ~  Art you hate...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX
...or just quite dislike :lol: Tepid and lukewarm opinions are as welcome as your absolutely hateful and extreme opinions.

We've had several threads about music we hate and I haven't really updated that artist of the day for a long time due to not having the time or regular access to the internet. So most of you i'd imagine are aware of the sort of art I like, and I your particular tastes. But apart from Best Bastard's genocidal sentiments regarding the YBA's and their ilk I realized this morning I don't know what genres or artists get your heckles up. By now i've learnt what gets your individual musical goats but my knowledge of your visual/conceptual/craft/medium/etc cons is strangely lacking. So lets have at you. What art/artists DON'T you like?

~

I've always taken issue towards a sizeable percentage of Victorian and early 20th century art, particularly painting in the - *a h e m* -"social realist" style. A genre thats about as realistic about society as Kelvin McKenzie is an intelligent fully-rounded human being. Based purely on my own admittedly biased post-modern sensibilities I can only attempt to imagine what grounds those people were working on when making, commissioning or critiquing art.
They were so obsessed with taste and refinement that, in my opinion for what little its worth, it prevented them from acknowledging art that challenged their own sense of self worth. In Britain at least at the rise and decline of our empire, its arguable that many people simply weren't prepared for works that dissected or attacked our confidence as a nation. Today we are much more cynical (some of us comfortably so) on all levels of society regardless of class or education.

"The Slave Ship" or "Slavers Throwing overboard the Dead and Dying—Typhoon coming on by J. M. W. Turner

Laying Down the Law by Edwin Landseer

It would be arrogant of me to dismiss all Victorian art buffs as philistines for not adhering my own limitations and ideals. But its hard for me to understand why people of that era couldn't recognize the brutal stark brilliance of the topmost painting (by this time in his career Turner was much derided by many circles) but on the flipside could find nought but critical appraisal and approval of a painting of a fucking dog by Edwin Landseer.
If I was in the mood to be self-critical i'd realize that quite a lot of modern art is equally people pleasing and conformist. But its odd how I can get quite angry at the Victorian industrial elite for buying pictures of rosy cheeked children in sunny hayfields when most of them employed near-infantile wretches to work in their dangerous cotton factories for a pittance, filling their lungs with dust and disregarding their own terrifyingly hypocritical tastes.

Monarch of the Glen by Edwin Landseer

If I could return to Laying Down the Law for a moment to bring up another point. Animals have been used in art and ritual to represent aspects of our own identity and culture. Certain animals have moral or behavioural associations or are symbolic in a plethora of ways, which has affected the fortunes of species for or against their favour. To Landseer's credit he was exceptionally good at portraying animals in paint, plunging into the Victorians love of animals (whether this was genuine affection or ulterior interest varied) with a relish that ensured his success and acclaim as an artist.
A painting like Monarch of the Glen is composed brilliantly, in colour and positioning. There is part of me that likes the arrangement of deer and hilly backdrop. There is also a part of me that wants to invent a time machine so I can go back to 1851 and punch Landseer in the face.

~

:lol: Oh dear. Sorry about the length of this post. I hope you enjoyed my little half-arsed half-clever rant about art. I think I can already see what direction this thread will be going in anyway. Lets just say I doubt they'll be publishing in Art Review any time in the foreseeable future. I'll be back...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:43 pmPosts: 259
Most Picasso. The whole cubist thing strikes me as cynical titting about which I have no aesthetic or intellectual interest in.

To be honest, I could probably just say 'most art'. I love art from all periods but, like music, a whole lot of it is shite.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
User avatarZero ToleranceZero ToleranceJoined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pmPosts: 6315Location: Landscape XX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:51 pmPosts: 3217Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland
Really, Ben? Another art thread? :P

Just teasing ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:38 pmPosts: 1008Location: UK, London
Tracey Emin and anything to do with the Turner Prize.

ALIVE - VIDEO - http://vimeo.com/10346132
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFzjPmdQck
http://www.alexyork.co.uk/alive
http://www.myspace.com/alexyorkalive
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarIntolerantIntolerantJoined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pmPosts: 739
All this "modern art" bullshit that is all pomp, pretense and bullshit "art" rather than actually having genuine resonant messages like the ORIGINATORS of the modern art movement - so pretty much anything nominated for the Turner Prize these days tbh.

Also:
Tracy Emin and Damien Hirst.
How the fuck they're half as rich as they no doubt are is fucking beyond me.

I agree with Pablo Icasso to a degree. I celebrate the way he integrates meaning with physical entities to his paintings (ie the abstract shapes at one angle that when you move turn into a skull etc), but visually they just don't tick the boxes for me.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Maximum ToleranceMaximum ToleranceJoined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pmPosts: 9Location: IRELAND

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
Belly :( The loneliest art-fag...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 amPosts: 1668Location: Chester, UK
Mark Rothco...utterly pointless!!

:roll:

Belly Button: HavocClaudia: She singlehandedly* prevents this forum from transforming into a colossal Tetsuo shaped mound of phalluses, and has extremely trve metal taste.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pmPosts: 4470Location: Fighting crime
Damien Hirst makes me wish the US had nuked us instead of Japan.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 amPosts: 1668Location: Chester, UK

Belly Button: HavocClaudia: She singlehandedly* prevents this forum from transforming into a colossal Tetsuo shaped mound of phalluses, and has extremely trve metal taste.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote