[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Zero Tolerance Magazine • View topic - Panorama doc on the super rich

<  Non-music  ~  Panorama doc on the super rich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
Low ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:56 amPosts: 102
(lyrics from a certain UK metal band who once tried something new, and got crucified for it.)

"He was a poor man, though he was genius
Would they listen to this crazy man
Would they help him to his end
He was a tall man, pale skin and broken back
And no-one knew him, though he was genius
They feared him, locked him away
And in silence would he pray

He lived alone, though many voices spoke
He found peace, in his own little world
So they beat him, to his end
He lays forgotten
Dead skin and broken neck
And no-one knew him
Though he was genius

Who was he, that crazy man
Just a loser, to the end "

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote
User avatarBarely TolerantBarely TolerantJoined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:12 pmPosts: 447Location: Winchester, UK
Now see here. If you really care so much about the state of the world, stop farting about with music and get involved. Work for a charity. Work for an MP as an assistant. Get a job abroad with an NGO. Build a school from scratch in the Kenyan outback. Hell - why not help out at your local after-school club while you're at it?

But don't go about thinking that music is a valid substitute for any of this. At best it will make an indirect contribution, at worst it's a blind alley that so many before you have gone up and found out that all their efforts fell on deaf ears. Either way, you'll be disappointed if you let your guitar, and not your actions, do the talking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
You make a lot of assumptions.
The point I have been arguing is that a healthy culture is the basis for a healthy society.
Culture is much more than mere decoration. For me, and for many people I've heard, music is a very important part of living. No, it don't pay the bills, but it gives the reason for wanting to pay them.
Don't confuse this with going about like Bono being 'socially responsible'. I'm not talking about that. Quite the reverse. Fuck that -

"If the mountains fall in the sea, let them be, it ain't me."

If the music is beautiful, if it is fully realised, individual and original, that's enough.
FREEDOM is the key word - how much freedom do you feel you have?
People are drawn instinctively to expressions of true freedom. Diluting music with social messages never works - people get suspicious - because the spectre of control lurks behind it.

But if music arises from a PERSONAL dissatisfaction with life, that's different. Thats personal vision. Personal vision that just happens to strike a chord in other people, because in the end we live in the same society and undergo the same shit. Hendrix did it in many of his songs. He talks about being himself, having his own style, not following anyone, rejecting the ones who point. That's politics. That's about the freedom to live. But no one accuses him of being Bono do they? His music is as good as it is BECAUSE IT IS REAL. And its real because he insisted that he was free.

You know that society is decadent when it no longer allows freedom. Have you noticed - we are richer, but less free these days. Culture is decadent when it blocks off difference. That's what's going on.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
Maximum ToleranceMaximum ToleranceJoined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:09 amPosts: 1Location: cardiff

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:07 pmPosts: 1144Location: Chester

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
Low ToleranceLow ToleranceJoined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:28 pmPosts: 214
Hey Division,
Wow you write lots, I usually keep out of threads like this because basically I'm not too bright...but just wanted to add my nothing pence worth...

When has culture never been in crises??? How would you please everyone all the time??

I must admit I've always gone for the music instead of lyrical content. Jello Biafra always wrote the best political lyrics..but I don't think he changed the world...

I think alot of extreme music stays underground...I only recently discovered Forefather, who I believe have five albums out...and how old are they...early twenties, big future for them...

So you have to find these bands, the scene is most likely being 're-vitalised' as I type, but due to the nature of the music it has to be found...

This is one of the reasons I've always liked extreme music, the challenge of finding new bands and the challenge of listening to them.....

Every year I think I watch a program about the megarich...again you seem to think this is a new enterprise......if someone can make a pound they will.if they can make more pounds by fucking people over they definately will!!....century after century after century....

I totally agree with you that this sucks......but it will continue to happen until we manage to commit mass genocide....

So just sit back, stick on crosstown traffic, try not to think about it and relax...

As soon as I get back on broadband I'll give your music a listen...

Cheers

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:10 pmPosts: 2424Location: Brighton

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:10 pmPosts: 2424Location: Brighton

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarHighly IntolerantHighly IntolerantJoined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:07 pmPosts: 1144Location: Chester

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quote
User avatarStaffStaffJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:49 pmPosts: 542

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Offline Profile